The are 3 critical steps to getting perfect results with green key.
1. Even lighting. Make sure your flash lights the entire background evently. We recommend using two flashes one on camera left and one on camera right. If you only have one flash, place it right above the camera. Set your flash to constant power so it doesn't change from photo to photo.
2. White Balance. Set a proper white balance for your photos when you start. We suggest setting a custom white balance with a piece of white paper or someone wearing a white shirt. The way to do this is slightly different from camera to camera but it's quite easy to do. You'll get much better original photos and green screen results this way.
3. Use Green Screen Custom Settings. dslrBooth usually does a good job in automatic mode provided your lighting is adequate and your camera settings are correct. However, dslrBooth will give you much better and consistent results if you take 30 seconds to adjust these settings.
To do this:
- Go through a session with dslrBooth to get a test photo with a person in front of your green screen.
- Click on Green Screen, it should auto-load your test photo, if it doesn't, click on Change Sample Photo and find the original photo you just took.
- Click on Manual. Click on Key Color, and click anywhere in the middle of your green screen background.
- Finally adjust Sensitivity and Smoothness till you get perfect results. Doing these steps tells dslrBooth to use these settings for all future photos which will give you much better and consistent results.
Green Screen Live View
If you're using live view, you'll need to do similar steps to get the best results. This is because lighting for live view will be different than lighting for the photo if you're using flash. The color of your background will be different and you'll need to set different settings for live view. dslrBooth lets you setup two sets of green screen settings, one for photo and one for live view to support his.
To setup Green Screen liveview settings, go to Green Screen:
- Press on Live View, liveview will start, click on Manual.
- Click on Key Color, and click anywhere in the middle of your green screen background.
- Finally adjust Sensitivity and Smoothness till you get perfect results.